Category Archives: Impeach
Watch this powerful video from ThinkProgress via Alternet.I love this man for his grit and spunk. His Impeachment Petition is on my sidebar..please take a couple of seconds and sign it if you believe the Big Dick Cheney should be impeached. It’s worse than Watergate he says on the video and he is spot-fucking-on..From the ThinkProgress writeup;
On Tuesday night, Rep. Robert Wexler (D-FL) took to the House floor to urge the House Judiciary Committee to begin impeachment hearings into Vice President Cheney for “high crimes and misdemeanors.” Wexler, who has already acquired nearly 190,000 supporters through his website, explained his next steps:
Tomorrow, I will deliver these names to my colleagues on the Judiciary Committee with a letter to my friend, Chairman Conyers, calling for hearings. I will ask my colleagues to sign this letter … Continuing every day for months, I will publish in the Congressional Record several thousand names of supporters who signed up.
History demands that we take action, because the case against Vice President Cheney is far stronger than the illegality surrounding Watergate.
If you believe this action is needed(and what progressive doesn’t?), please forward this video, or post it on your website with the link to Wexler’s Petition website.
The site started up just a few days ago, and baby..its taken off! From Democrats.com:
Wexler’s goal was 50,000 signatures but with your support, Wexler’s petition passed 100,000!(105736 as of 8:30 pm leftcoast time)
These 7 voted to kill Kucinich’s bill on 11/6, so they need to CHANGE their positions and fulfill their oath of office to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic: Howard Berman (CA-28), Artur Davis (AL-07), William Delahunt (MA-10), Zoe Lofgren (CA-16), Jerrold Nadler (NY-08), Linda Sanchez (CA-39), and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL-20).
Please email all House Judiciary Democrats through this petition:
Wexler is thrilled with your response, and he will hold a virtual town hall meeting on Thursday at 9 pm ET (6 pm PT) on Florida Progressive Radio with Kenneth Quinnell, co-hosted by Democrats.com.
Wexler has the support of two Judiciary Committee Democrats, Luis Gutierrez (IL-04) and Tammy Baldwin (WI-02). Five others are co-sponsors of H.Res. 333/H.Res. 799, Rep. Kucinich’s Articles of Impeachment for Vice President Cheney: Steve Cohen (TN-09), Keith Ellison (MN-05), Sheila Jackson Lee (TX-18), Hank Johnson (GA-04), and Maxine Waters (CA-35).
But that leaves 13 Judiciary Committee Democrats who have NOT called for impeachment hearings. These 6 voted to send Kucinich’s bill to Judiciary on 11/6, so they should publicly support Wexler’s efforts: John Conyers (MI-14), Bobby Scott (VA-03), Brad Sherman (CA-27), Betty Sutton (OH-13), Mel Watt (NC-12), and Anthony Weiner (NY-09).
It won’t take you more than a second or two folks..sign the petition on Wexlers’s site..what do you have to lose?
Isn’t that a surprise my dear reader? NOT!
According to AP and Keith O on Countdown this evening..they haven’t met squat for benchmarks. And to anyone that pays attention I say again..your not one bit surprised are you?
From the Houston Chron writeup:
A draft report to Congress on the war will conclude that the U.S.-backed government in Iraq has met none of its targets for political, economic and other reform, speeding up the Bush administration’s reckoning on what to do next, a U.S. official said Monday.
One likely result of the report will be a vastly accelerated debate among President Bush’s top aides on withdrawing troops and scaling back the U.S. presence in Iraq.
The “pivot point” for addressing the matter will no longer be Sept. 15, as initially envisioned, when a full report on Bush’s so-called “surge” plan is due, but instead will come this week when the interim mid-July assessment is released, the official said.
A draft version of the report, expected to be presented to Congress on Thursday or Friday, circulated among various government agencies in Washington on Monday.
“The facts are not in question,” the official told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the draft is still under discussion. “The real question is how the White House proceeds with a post-surge strategy in light of the report.”
The official said it is highly unlikely that Bush will withhold or suspend some aid to the Iraqis based on the report, as he can do under the law.
Lovely..simple friggin lovely. God I am getting a migraine..gotta go.
(AP) MONTPELIER, Vt. Vermont senators voted Friday to call for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney, saying their actions have raised “serious questions of constitutionality.”
The non-binding resolution was approved 16-9 without debate — all six Republicans in the chamber at the time and three Democrats voted against it.
The resolution says Bush and Cheney’s actions in the U.S. and abroad, including in Iraq, “raise serious questions of constitutionality, statutory legality, and abuse of the public trust.”
Salon blogger Allen L. Roland has given us the reasons for impeachment(as if we don’t already know them):
1. Violating the United Nations Charter by launching an illegal “War of Aggression” against Iraq without cause, using fraud to sell the war to Congress and the public, misusing government funds to begin bombing without Congressional authorization, and subjecting our military personnel to unnecessary harm, debilitating injuries, and deaths.
2. Violating U.S. and international law by authorizing the torture of thousands of captives, resulting in dozens of deaths, and keeping prisoners hidden from the International Committee of the Red Cross.
3. Violating the Constitution by arbitrarily detaining Americans, legal residents, and non-Americans, without due process, without charge, and without access to counsel.
4. Violating the Geneva Conventions by targeting civilians, journalists, hospitals, and ambulances, and using illegal weapons, including white phosphorous, depleted uranium, and a new type of napalm.
5. Violating U.S. law and the Constitution through widespread wiretapping of the phone calls and emails of Americans without a warrant.
6. Violating the Constitution by using “signing statements” to defy hundreds of laws passed by Congress.
7. Violating U.S. and state law by obstructing honest elections in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006.
8. Violating U.S. law by using paid propaganda and disinformation, selectively and misleadingly leaking classified information, and exposing the identity of a covert CIA operative working on sensitive WMD proliferation for political retribution.
9. Subverting the Constitution and abusing Presidential power by asserting a “Unitary Executive Theory” giving unlimited powers to the President, by obstructing efforts by Congress and the Courts to review and restrict Presidential actions, and by promoting and signing legislation negating the Bill of Rights and the Writ of Habeas Corpus.
10. Gross negligence in failing to assist New Orleans residents after Hurricane Katrina, in ignoring urgent warnings of an Al Qaeda attack prior to Sept. 11, 2001, and in increasing air pollution causing global warming.
I think the State of Vermont has the right idea. Wouldn’t it be great if it caught on? ITMFA!
On March 18-20, Impeach07 will organize local events for peace and impeachment around the country:
A growing network of organizations and individuals has launched a new campaign to pursue the immediate impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney through widespread public protest, creative dissent, media activism, education, and coordinated lobbying. We believe that Bush and Cheney have committed high crimes and misdemeanors, including misleading the nation into an aggressive war, spying in open violation of the law, and sanctioning the use of torture.
Gold Star Families for Peace
Green Party of the United States
Hip Hop Caucus
Impeach the President
Military Free Zone
National Lawyers Guild
Patriotic Response to Renegade Govt
Progressive Democrats of America
Independent Progressive Politics Network
World Can’t Wait